The deployment of 5G continues in France and good news, operators are accelerating on the 3.5 GHz band which promises the highest speeds.
Heading for real 5G?
The ANFR explains that 25,105 5G sites have been authorized on the national territory, which corresponds to an increase of 3.7%. This does not mean that they are all activated, according to operator data, only 56.9% are operational.
Details of 5G sites:
- 700 MHz band (Free Mobile): 16,683 authorized 5G sites, including 9,584 operational;
- 2100 MHz band (Bouygues Telecom, Orange and SFR): 8,376 authorized 5G sites, of which 3,846 operational;
- 3.5 GHz band (Bouygues Telecom, SFR, Free Mobile, Orange): 8,550 authorized sites, of which 3,973 are operational.
While the vast majority of 5G sites rely on the 700 and 2100 Hz bands, things are slowly changing as there are now more 3.5 GHz sites than 2100 MHz, c This is good news for users who will finally enjoy true 5G.
Details of 4G sites:
- Orange (26,092 sites, + 161 in May 2021);
- SFR (22,014 sites, +78 over the same period);
- Bouygues Telecom (21,643 sites, + 107 over the same period);
- Free Mobile (19,955 sites, + 229 over the same period).
ANFR announces a very slight increase in 4G sites in May (+ 0.6%). This is hardly surprising, as operators have arguably directed their investments towards 5G.