Technology

Donald Trump continues to put pressure on TikTok and the Chinese giants

The Trump administration continues to put hellish pressure on the shoulders of the Chinese TikTok app. The ultimate symbol of the war of nerves in which Washington is engaged with the publisher of the ByteDance application, the US president has just created a verified account on TikTok’s competing platform, Triller.

As a reminder, today this is one of the many alternatives to TikTok which have experienced a wave of downloads since the American executive signed a decree on August 6 summoning ByteDance to pass under the American flag on pain of being see outright banned from downloading on American platforms, including the Apple AppStore and the Android Play Store.

A few hours after this registration, the account of the American president on the Triller application had three short videos and just over 3,000 followers at the end of the day on Saturday.

While ByteDance is already in talks to sell TikTok’s business in
North America, Australia and New Zealand at Microsoft, the White House does not intend to stop there its efforts to put sticks in the wheels of the Chinese technological giants. Donald Trump said on Saturday that he intended to put pressure on other Chinese companies like Alibaba.

Alibaba also in Washington’s sights

Asked at a press conference whether he was considering
to ban other Chinese companies in particular, such as
Alibaba, the chairman replied in the affirmative. The American president, who made the change in relations
trade between the United States and China a central theme of its
presidency, continues to sharply criticize Beijing and its industry
technological, suspected of being built on flights of
American technologies and engaging in espionage activities
on behalf of the Chinese regime.

Last month, the United States added 11 more Chinese companies to its
list of entities for their alleged involvement in the repression of
Uighur Muslims and other Muslim ethnic minorities in China.
The United States initially blocked 28 Chinese companies in
October. Already last June, the American Federal Commission of
communications had officially designated Huawei and ZTE as
threats to national security.

One way for the Trump administration to mean that the American authorities are no longer limited to the sole telecoms sector and encompass
henceforth carriers, application stores,
companies specializing in cloud computing and
submarine cables. Let it be said, the message is intended to be clear on the side of the White House: companies
Chinese technology companies are now called upon to shed light on their reports
with Beijing, under penalty of being delisted from the American market and from access to American infrastructures.

.

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker