THOSE. The annual video game programming competition, the Grand Programmathon, aims to have students develop a video game on the Scratch platform within a given time frame. The competition initiative brought together 200 young students from 11 Quebec schools in teams of two to four students. They spoke on a specific topic announced on the morning of the start of the competition.
This year’s theme was “Insects in Action”, which our young developers had to create a video game entirely in French and in accordance with the PG-13 standard. Organized by Cégep Limoilou’s Computer Science and Mathematics Department and Mon Avenir Ti, Ubisoft Québec and Beenox, the event allowed several young people to use the Scratch design platform to showcase their talents.
Having the opportunity to test some of these games before they are handed over to senior judges, you know that we have very good talent. The closing ceremony took place recently, here are the main winners of the 2022 contest:
In the “Insider” category
- Sphynx3 from Collège de l’Assomption with Récolte Foumi-dable game;
- Lawn Mower Studio from Saint-Jean-Eud College with The Battle of Norbourg;
- DevTeams from Collège de l’Assomption with Prey;
In the “Beginners” category
- Droid 05 by Collège Saint-Sacrement with the game “Protect Your Square”;
- FFDTEÉE ADT from Mont Saint Sacrement College with Ants and Enemies;
- Boys from the Collège de l’Assomption with Ant Run!!!;
In the Theme Prizes category, eight games were selected for their originality, artistic direction, innovation, and Coup de coeur games.
Once again, congratulations to the nearly 200 young participants and 11 schools that have joined this annual competition. And, who knows, maybe I will judge your games next year, young people! 😉