Technology

Luko, the neo-insurance which offers its policyholders teleconsultation monitoring

The start-up Luko is launching its home teleconsultation offer, “Doctor House”, to advise its policyholders on the maintenance of their homes, and refer them to specialist advisers to carry out development work.

For neoinsurance, it is a way of reversing the paradigm of traditional insurance, by focusing more on prevention. “It is important to anticipate disasters before they happen,” says Léa Joussaume, communication manager of Luko, at .

This new home teleconsultation solution does not take into account claims-related interventions, which are already managed by the insurer as part of its home package. But it makes it possible to go further in an advisory and prevention approach, by guiding policyholders towards optimized management of their habitat. Docteur House thus offers three types of services, ranging from a complete assessment of the home (insulation, energy consumption, security, etc.) to a diagnosis to prepare for repairs to the home, to an independent estimate for a development project. Policyholders can therefore receive free advice for their future repair or maintenance work.

Once the video link is established, Luko’s quantity surveyor performs a complete home check-up and checks the windows, doors, plumbing, insulation and even the heating system.


The insured can access this service from his personal space. Once the appointment is made, he receives a connection link to carry out the live video expertise.

The health crisis accelerates the rise of teleconsultation

Luko looked at the possibilities offered by video interventions during the health crisis, to limit the movement of craftsmen to the homes of insured persons. “For example, it was necessary to come to the aid by video to help policyholders resolve water damage directly,” says Léa Joussaume. “During confinement, we carried out all our expertise remotely, via video calls. We have even happened several times to repair claims remotely, detailing the actions to our policyholders. During the same period, we have also witnessed the explosion and mass adoption of medical teleconsultation. At the request of our users, we have decided to offer this service in favor of household health and loss prevention, ”explains CEO Raphaël Vullierme.

Since its creation in 2018, Luko has been developing an entirely online underwriting process, to stick to the image of “more transparent insurance”. In a way, it is a way of contributing to “popularization of insurance, without any bad surprises”, specifies Léa Joussaume.

Luko has implemented a faster reimbursement process than traditional insurers, by developing technologies to automate most of the steps, explains Léa Joussaume, who takes the possibility of making reimbursements via Lydia as an example.

Luko is remunerated on the basis of a commission of 30% deducted from contributions, for his operating costs. The remaining 70% are “communitarized between insured”. If the full amount has not been used at the end of the year, the insurer pays the surplus to associations. “Without a physical agency and very little communication by phone, our rates are 15 to 20% cheaper than the competition,” says Léa Joussaume. But “this is not low cost insurance”. A chat service is offered over extended hours to answer customer questions.

Preventive IoT is gaining ground

The start-up, which is approaching the milestone of 10,000 customers, also provides its policyholders with three preventive technologies to fight against theft (Luko Door), water leaks (Luko Water) and the risks of fire (Luko Elec).

The Luko Door sensor is placed on the front door and alerts when it has been left open, or not properly locked. “If a door is closed but not locked, the person is not insured in the event of an intrusion. »The Luko Elec sensor, connected to the electricity meter, sends real-time data on the energy consumption of the home, and breaks down according to the most consuming household appliances. The third technology to detect water leaks, Luko Water, is still in R&D.


Overview of the information provided by the sensor located at the front door to reassure the insured when he is not at home.

Policyholders who wish to benefit from these sound sensors are registered on the waiting list. For the time being, 2,000 sensors are in operation among policyholders who agree to participate in this beta test, and “between 30 and 40 are sent per week”, on average.

“The data that goes back is only accessible to users,” says Léa Joussaume. They are not reused by the start-up to adjust its contracts and make repayments. Especially since these technologies “are not 100% reliable”, continues the manager. “What is targeted, ultimately, is less claims, and less contributions. »What to play in favor of IoT technologies for the home?

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker