macOS Monterey, the next operating system for Macs, was presented at WWDC 2021. There are obviously new features planned, but not all of them will be available on Macs running an Intel processor.
Apple has taken an important turn by installing its M1 chip on most of its new machines. By reserving some new features for this processor, he no doubt hopes to accelerate the renewal of the fleet and push users to the latest machines. It is also a clear and concise message sent to developers, and more generally to the entire industry, M1 chips now represent the future of Apple.
The functions only available with a Mac M1:
- Portrait mode during FaceTime conversations (blurred background);
- Live Text which allows you to search, copy or translate text embedded in photos;
- New text-to-speech available for Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish;
- Interactive 3D earth globe with detailed maps and in the Maps application;
- Unlimited offline voice dictation from the keyboard.