Relief: No COVID-19 patient is again admitted to the intensive care unit at Pierre-Le Gardeur Hospital in Terrebonne, for the first time since the crisis began. The health team is proud to welcome this good news as the number of pandemic-related hospitalizations continues to decline across the province.
Text messages, photos, videos: a wave of euphoria swept over D.re Amelie Bouakler, Wednesday evening. On vacation, the Emergency Physician at Pierre-Le Gardeur Hospital realized that something important was happening. There was no hospitalization for COVID-19 in his intensive care unit for 24 hours.
At the height of the crisis, 17 hospital beds were filled with patients battling SARS-CoV-2 and were even overcrowded. “It was like a backwash of text messages at the start of the pandemic, when there were five patients who arrived at night and had to be intubated,” explains Dr.re Pure wood. “Achieving ‘COVID Zero’ is a concrete way of saying that all the sacrifices that everyone has made are working,” she says.
In the intensive care unit of the Pierre-Le Gardeur hospital, the partitions were removed, and the doors, which had been closed for a long time, reopened.
The decline in COVID-19-related hospitalizations continues in Quebec, while 68 patients are in intensive care across the province, according to a report Thursday, down 29% from last week. “We view this lull as a pseudo-fighting,” notes D.R Germain Poirier, President of the Intensive Care Society of Quebec and Head of the Intensive Care Unit at the Charles-Le-Moines Hospital in Longueuil. At the moment, there are only two patients left in his department, one of whom is in critical condition. At the height of the crisis, there were 16 patients, most of whom were intubated.
The situation is similar at the University of Cardiology and Pneumology of Quebec (IUCPQ): only one patient with COVID-19 is in the intensive care unit, and three are on the floors. “We were one of two centers originally designated in March 2020 to respond to the pandemic,” recalls D.R Mathieu Simon, Head of the IUCPQ Intensive Care Unit. We’ve been very busy during the last three waves. “Up to 15 patients were simultaneously hospitalized in intensive care between Easter and the Day of National Patriots on May 24,” he said. Two full floors, or about 40 beds, were also allocated to COVID-19 patients.
Relief and pride in teams
“We end this crisis with the feeling that we have answered the call. The hospital staff is very proud to have served the population, ”emphasizes D.R Simon.
The improvement in the situation is due to the fact that most people followed sanitary instructions, D.re Pure wood. “This is not the result of chance: everything happens because of the fragile control over the situation,” she says. But it’s nice to say: “We are not giving up, we are continuing!” ”
The good news should allow intensive care teams to breathe a bit, say three resuscitators. However, the beds in these wards quickly filled with so-called normal patients. You also need to catch up with load shedding. “There is one thing that will not change: they will be the same commands,” notes D.re Pure wood. COVID-19 or not, intensive care beds require specialized personnel. “Now or never, she wants to find a way to pay attention to the teams. ”