Gaming

Xbox: A record first quarter for Microsoft’s gaming division

Business news Xbox: A record first quarter for Microsoft’s gaming division

,

We are at the end of April! It is therefore time to take stock of the finances of the biggest studios in the video game industry. After CD Projekt and the PlayStation brand, therefore, it is Microsoft’s turn to unveil its latest quarterly report.

Yesterday, at the end of the evening, the American giant Microsoft unveiled the last quarter figures closed on March 31, 2021. And what we can see at a glance is that Satya Nadella’s firm is doing quite well. Indeed, between January 1, 2021 and March 31, the American company achieved more than $ 41 billion in sales and a profit of $ 15.5 billion, which represents a respective increase of 19% and 44% compared to last year over the same period. This impressive result is mainly due to Microsoft’s cloud services, which alone recorded $ 17.7 billion.

More than a year after the start of the pandemic, the digital adoption curves are not slowing down. They’re picking up speed, and that’s just the start. We’re building the cloud for the next decade, expanding our addressable marketplace, and innovating every level of the technology stack to help our customers be resilient and transform. Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft

For its part, the turnover of the video game part (the one that interests us therefore) has also exploded. It reached 3.53 billion dollars and at the same time posted an increase of 50% compared to last year over the same period. This is quite simply the best result recorded by the Xbox brand since its birth for a first quarter of the year. Obviously, the stars of this first quarter of the year 2021 are game sales, but also, and especially subscription services – here we are referring to the Xbox Game Pass which was recently enriched with Bethesda games. – which increased by 34% compared to the first quarter of 2020. Unfortunately, Microsoft has not published the number of subscribers to the service. According to the latest news, the subscription service had 18 million subscribers as of December 31, 2020.

You haven’t seen it all yet! Console sales, thanks to the arrival of the Xbox Series X | S on the market, have made a monstrous gap and are now up 232% compared to the first quarter of last year, just that. However, these sales represent only a tiny part of the turnover of Microsoft’s gaming division with only a small 18%. The remaining 82% are obviously occupied by content sales and subscription services.

You will also like:

Profile of JeromeJoffard, Jeuxvideo.com

Through Jeromejoffard, Writing jeuxvideo.com

MPTwitter

Back to top button